USA Sports Immigration

Sports Immigration Can be Complicated … But Not for Us!


SLA logo


Our Approach Produces Results! Why?

  • We have more than 18 years legal experience.
  • Your application will stand out from the crowd.
  • We don’t just meet the standard – we exceed the standard.
  • We love sports!

Who do we work with?

      • Professional athletes
      • Coaches and others who support athletes
      • Family members of athletes
      • Amateur athletes transitioning to the collegiate level
      • Amateur athletes
      • Parents of young athletes training or competing in the U.S.

O visa or P visa… which is right for me?

The two most common visa categories for athletes are the O visa and the P visa. While similar, these two visa categories have significant differences, and it’s very important that you select the proper category for your needs. Our team is standing by to help guide you through the process! In the meantime, below is an overview of the two visa categories and their key differences.

The O visa

This visa category allows the individual to temporarily work in the United States. As an athlete, the specific visa you’ll need is the O-1A. You’ll need to demonstrate “extraordinary ability” in your field – and we can help you do just that.

Additionally, the O-2 visa is available for essential coaches, trainers, and other support staff of the athlete. And the O-3 visa is available for immediate family members, which includes your spouse and your children as long as they are under 21 years of age. However note that your spouse and kids can’t work under this visa – but they CAN attend school. This might sound complicated, but when the Swenson Law Office, PC, is on your team… we’ll make it easy!

The P visa

The P visa also provides the recipient with the ability to work temporarily in the United States. Specifically, the P-1A visa is intended for professional athletes and athletic teams who which to compete in the United States. However, in order to qualify, the athlete or team must be able to demonstrate a “distinguished reputation” – which can be difficult if you don’t have the Swenson Law Office, PC, working for you!

The P-1S visa is available for essential support personnel such as coaches, trainers, and others. And the P-4 visa is available for immediate family members of the P-1A visa holder, including their spouse and kids under the age of 21. P-4 holders cannot work in the United States, but they can attend school.

Key differences

Which visa is best for you? That depends on a number of factors, including your experience, your skill level, the amount of time you’ll seek to be in the United States, and much more. Please call us today so that we can guide you through the process.

However, in general, it is easier to establish eligibility for the P visa than it is for the O visa. P visa recipients are required to maintain a residence in their home country, while O visa recipients are not required to do so. And in most cases, an O visa holder can work in the United States for a longer period of time than the P visa allows.

When possible, obtaining an O visa is usually preferable, but in many cases the P visa works just as well. Selecting the right visa category is very important and it’s critical that you receive personalized guidance from an experienced sports immigration attorney. At the Swenson Law Office, PC, sports immigration is what we do… and we can’t wait to help you take your sports career to the next level here in the United States!

Can’t my sports/entertainment lawyer or agent or manager do this?

Honestly, no. We focus specifically on immigration law and therefore have knowledge and experience in this area that others simply don’t. Think about it: if your knee is injured in a game and you need surgery before you can resume your career, do you go to your family doctor for the operation? No! Of course you don’t. You go to a specialist, like an orthopedic surgeon. The same is true with immigration. While managers, agents, or sports/entertainment attorneys have a lot of skills that have assisted you over the years, immigration law isn’t their area of expertise. As a dedicated US immigration law firm, this is all we do. This isn’t a process you can afford to get wrong. You need to have a specialist on your team. At Swenson Law Office, PC, our focus is on you, on your family, and on your career. Please contact us today and let us help you take your career to the next level!

Every sport. Every athlete. From around the corner to around the globe.

We are your sports immigration law firm.

Swenson Law Office, PC
5161 E. Arapahoe Rd., Suite 120
Centennial, CO 80122